Friday, November 13, 2009

Berlin

Even in November 1938, after five years of anti-Semitic legislation and persecution, they still owned, according to the Times correspondent in Berlin, something like a third of the real property in the Reich.

British Historian Arthur Bryant (1899-1985)

Only through acknowledgement of the erasure and void of Jewish life can the history of Berlin and Europe have a human future.

Polish-born American architect Daniel Libeskind (born 1946)

In Berlin, I especially enjoyed the orchestral concerts, and I attended a large number of them. I formed the acquaintance of a good many musicians, several of whom spoke of my playing in high terms.

American author, poet, musician and diplomat James Weldon Johnson (1871-1938)

When I went back to visit my native Berlin after World War II, I noticed that the only thing I really remembered from my childhood Berlin days was the shoe store.

Berlin-born American composer and conductor Lukas Foss (1922-2009)

________________________________________________


On Sunday, Andrew and I will hear the Berlin Philharmonic. It will be my first Berlin Philharmonic concert.

I am very excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment